Luke at our Campsite in Homer

Luke at our Campsite in Homer

Monday, August 16, 2010

Men around here- what gives?

Today was the first day of new teacher inservice. There are ALOT of us this year. somewhere between 30 and 40.- I didn't really count, but it's alot. Mostly women, of course. what's up with that?? You'd think men would want to go into the proffession of teaching, especially in an elementary school. Can you imagine.... they'd have their pick up women to date. Lots of young single, sweet, patient teachers and all of those young, single moms.
I heard that the ratio of single men to single women on Kodiak was 3:1. I have a feeling the single men being referred to are either between the ages of 19-24 (Coasties) or 45+ (old crusty sailors, many of whom don't speak English) It's a little disappointing. I know God put me here for a reason, but I was kind of hoping that reason had something to do with me finding a man. Maybe I just have to be patient. There is no way of God's green earth I have met every eligible man on this island yet, I've only been here a little over a week. But that's enough for a girl to get an idea of the odds she's up against.
I'm getting kind of used to older men, or men with limited english, asking me if I'm married, but when they find out the only man I'm here with is my 10 year old son, the conversation comes to a crashing hault. When I asked a local woman I was eating lunch with today if that was common around here, she looked at me, smiled and said "welcome to Alaska".

As crazy as it sounds I've notices more men (no matter the age) looking at me when I'm in my grubbies then when I'm dressed more professionally. What gives?? If I'd have known that t-shirts, bagging jogging pants and turned down xtr-tuffs turned men on, I'd have started wearing them long ago. Now I'm not sure if the younger ones are looking at me lust or disgust- but I don't really care. Young men are to wishy washy and superficial (for the most part) anyway. I like to pretend that when I'm dressed nicely (read: professional, not sexy) men are put off because I look to "stand offish" or whatever. And when I'm dressed like 75% of the rest of Alaska (except on Sundays, when everyone seems to at least have showered and put on clean clothes) I'm more approachable and "normal".

Whatever the case you'd think with the odds I've got (pretty good ones) it shouldn't be hard for me to get a date. Unless, that is, the goods are odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment