Luke at our Campsite in Homer

Luke at our Campsite in Homer

Friday, August 13, 2010

Lessons learned

Finally all the little silly stupid stressful things about the move are over and done with. I have a bank account, a new driver's license ( I had to take a written test. thank God I had read the posters about the incredibly strict drunk driving laws here before hand), all of my paperwork for my new job is filled out, I have my school keys, P.O. Box keys and house keys. I know how to contact a lock smith and how to sweet talk him into unlocking my door on a Sunday afternoon (it's all about who you know ). I know that the phone service provider I picked was NOT the best choice. I learned that when the post office tells you a package will get to a certain location in x number of days, what they really mean is that it will get there in x+2 number of days.
I've learned that all the plumbing in my house is backwards and around here public restrooms do not come standard with water fountains. People have been very accommodating about getting Luke a drink of water from their private water cooler. The child is a little fish. I've learned that you can bargain with the Chinese ladies running the catholic thrift store. In fact if you don't bargain with them they ask you repeatedly if the price was OK with you.- Yes, thank you, I AM happy that you are only charging me $5 for a pair of almost new jeans, a hoodie, 2 canning jars and 4 small toys.
I've learned that Luke and I are not allowed to be sick for exactly 16 days in between the time my insurance from Columbus runs out and my insurance from Kodiak picks up. Not only do I not have insurance I also have no sick days. I've learned that I need to invest more in my retirement fund while I'm here because my union has decided that we won't be paying social security tax (didn't know that was an option).
I've learned where most of the emergency Tsunami / earthquake evacuation routes are, and I've stood on the stone marking where the 30 foot wave of 1964 hit ( in the middle of the city).

Can't wait to learn more.
till next time....

1 comment:

  1. Corrie, Glad you are learning new things. I just learned yesterday that one of my friend's brother is on Kodiak Island doing reasearch on the mating habits of some bird. P.S. He's single. Just to let you know. If you want more info I can get it for you.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete